Sunday, March 8, 2015

Wooden Initial Burlap Picture Frames

Hey folks!

I was SO in love with a reclaimed wood initial project that I had found on Pinterest (inspiration found here), but then I quickly realized that… I could not, for the life of me, get my hands on reclaimed wood, and in addition to that, I discovered that finding tin letters in a reasonable price range was out of the picture for me. So, back to the drawing board I went, and after wrangling my brain, I decided that I could make Wooden Initial Burlap Picture Frames with the materials I had on hand.

Here’s what I used:
13” Letters (Michael’s)                                            = $4.99 x 2     = $9.98
18” Wooden Ampersand (Hobby Lobby)            = $7.79x 1      = $7.79*
Wood picture frames (Goodwill)                          = $2.99 x 2     = $5.98
Spray Paint (Walmart)                                            = $3.99 x 2     = $7.98
Burlap (on hand)                                                      = $0.00           = $0.00
Glue Sticks (on hand)                                              = $0.00           = $0.00
Mod Podge (on hand)                                              = $0.00           = $0.00
TOTAL COST                                                                               = $31.73
Cost break down = $10.58 per piece
*Used 40% coupon from the Hobby Lobby App. Originally $12.99.

Here’s what I did:
1. Spray paint letters. I used Krylon CoverMaxx in Ivory/Gloss and Rust-Oleum Camouflage in dark sage color. (The Rust-Oleum Camouflage is made to be ultra flat. Just an FYI if this is not the finish you’re looking for. I will remedy this in steps to come!)

2. While my letters were drying, I decided to stain my ampersand a walnut color. For this, I used Varathane Wood Stain in dark walnut.

3. Since I had even more time with things out to dry, I cut pieces of leftover burlap to fit the backs of my picture frames and hot glued them in place.

4. After my letters were finished drying, I hot glued them to my burlap backings.

5. Because my green frames had turned out SO flat, I decided to add some gloss by using Mod Podge. (My only caution with this step is to apply lightly.  If you use it too generously, the excess won’t dry clear but white instead.)

6. When errrything was dry, I simply placed the backings back into the frames and voila!

This was a super fun project, and I absolutely love the end result!  

Well, folks, that’s all I’ve got to say for now. Happy crafting! I’ll be seeing y’all soon! Until then, take care!